July 18, 2013

Reaper Miniatures - Paints Master Series

Product Review
Reviewer: Pablo Bauleo
IPMS: # 46363

Manufacturer: Reaper Miniatures
Product: Paints Master Series
MSRP:  $2.99 for 1/2oz bottle. Available from http://www.reapermini.com/

Review

Reaper Miniatures Model Master series are a water-based paint and it has a very large selection of colors available (over 200). They are sold in ½ oz eye-drop containers, which makes for a very practical way to dispense paint into the paint cup and prevents spills by accidentally knocking over the bottle. The containers have some sort of 'mixer' inside them to help mix the paint by just gently moving the container.

Paints are designed to be applied in thin coats and have good color density. I've thin them with water, in a ratio of about 20% water to 80% paint for better flow. I've brush painted an ejection seat and two coats were enough for solid covering.  The finish of the paint was very flat. I've cleaned the brush with water and washed with hand soap. There was no paint residue left in the brush.

I've thinned the paint a little bit more for an airbrush test shot (about half and half). This time I needed about 4 or 5 passes to get a solid coverage and still is a little bit translucent. The test shot is an old model that I use for 'airbrush target practice' and it was not primed for the color application. That explains the different shades of blue you can see in the different panels towards the wing-tip. I'm sure that I thinned the paint a too much, but I was experimenting with the paints.

I find these paint extremely easy to work with and very good for detailing, acrylic washes and such. I'm sure they are perfect for painting figures. Actually I think I will start adding pilots, mechanics and drivers to my models using these paints.

I must confess that I have not heard from this manufacturer before, but I'm positive that I'll be adding a more colors from their line to my paint collection. I've read in their website that each color comes in a "triad", with a darker and a lighter shade of the base color for shades and highlights, which I find a very neat option.

Highly recommended.

I would like to thank Reaper Miniatures for the review samples.





All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

ALL AMERICAN CAR SHOW Details

The All-American Car Show is inviting contestants for the Model Show in Loveland, CO ages 17 or younger. Please see the details below: Model Building contest for Cars & Trucks only. Eligible contestants are those who are 17 or younger. Fee: Free to enter Model Build contest. Main event: All American Car Show. Date: Saturday July 13th, 2024. Time: 8am - 2pm (Model contest judging at 11am). Location: Loveland Sports Complex, 950 N. Boyd Lake Ave. Loveland, CO. Awards: Best in Show: 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. Note: Those who wish to bring their model car or truck just for show and no award is open to all ages.