August 1, 2013

FineScale Modeler 25-Year Collection (1982-2007) DVD

After ripping the cellophane off the spiffy looking case you will find 2 DVDs & a four page instruction sheet.

The software can be installed on both Windows & Macintosh systems. Also, all of the issues can be installed directly to the computer or accessed from the DVDs.

You can choose to view the issues in one of two formats. The first is a pseudo-library bookcase displaying the front cover of each magazine (picture 1). The alternate method is a simple text list. Both formats may be sorted by earlier or later dates. The search function is very basic, but does work (I tried all kinds of stuff in it). However, it could have been designed better.

Picture 2 shows a two-page spread of a canopy masking article while picture 3 demonstrates the zoom feature. The pages also print very well.

I have read other reviews of this product critiquing (in some way) the price, format, search function, quality of the scanned images, etc. It is definitely steeply priced at $99.95 with $8.95 shipping (sometimes Kalmbach Publishing offers free shipping). After a lengthy search (months) I found this product for considerably less with free shipping.

When FineScale Modeler debuted in 1982 I jumped on the bandwagon & signed up. After many years of stacking issues in a closet, mom & later the Mrs. demanded I take action. I spent several weeks perusing every issue pulling out the articles deemed most beneficial.  Later, even these pages proved to be too much of a space hog. I purchased a color scanner (which I still have & works great) & spent another several weeks, well, scanning. The rest went to recycle. This DVD set provides me not only the privilege to once again have every page I recycled, but, also the opportunity to ditch three dozen or so CD-ROMs.

This set works for me & I’m very happy that Kalmbach Publishing finally created it. I’m looking forward to years 2008 & beyond because, you guessed it, I’m still making CD-ROMs for those years. In fact I just finished the July 2013 issue & it is a real pain. The FineScale Modeler 25-Year Collection (1982-2007) DVD is excellent reference material. Definitely recommended for everyone.


All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

ALL AMERICAN CAR SHOW Details

The All-American Car Show is inviting contestants for the Model Show in Loveland, CO ages 17 or younger. Please see the details below: Model Building contest for Cars & Trucks only. Eligible contestants are those who are 17 or younger. Fee: Free to enter Model Build contest. Main event: All American Car Show. Date: Saturday July 13th, 2024. Time: 8am - 2pm (Model contest judging at 11am). Location: Loveland Sports Complex, 950 N. Boyd Lake Ave. Loveland, CO. Awards: Best in Show: 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. Note: Those who wish to bring their model car or truck just for show and no award is open to all ages.