July 24, 2013

Revell/Renwal 1/32 Teracruzer with Mace Missile (reissue) WIP Part 2

I begin Part 2 of this WIP where I left Part 1, sanding!  Every part in the kit has now been cleaned and are tumbling freely in the box.  To preserve my sanity I just needed to be done with sanding (about 2 days worth). 

But, the fun in this kit began to take off when I started the building process.  For example, picture 1 shows 33 parts (each wheel is 2 halves) are required to make one complete “truck” assembly.  Pictures 2 & 3 show the fragility of the outer torsion bars.  Photos of the real thing seem to prove they hold up under pressure.  Pictures 4 & 5 are two views of the completed “truck”.  Some filling & sanding were necessary to fill gaps, but it looks good when finished.  I need to build two more “trucks” & they will be ready for paint.

While I waited for the putty to dry on the “trucks” I moved on to the cab.  The kit does not come with clear parts so if you want windows you must improvise.  I had some Taco Bell nachos for lunch one day & noticed the recycle symbol on the clear lid was a 2.  I tested it with some plastic cement (Testors) & it worked.  The clear lid is actually slightly cloudy, but I like the way it looks (pictures 6-8).  Pictures 9 thru 13 show progress made on the cab & tractor chassis.  The cab is void of any detail other than the steering wheel & instrument panel.  So I decided to practice scratch-building.  Picture 10 shows my novice attempt to add pedals & shift levers.  The levers are sewing pins (the heads are too big for 1/32 scale, but I like it).  The pedals are styrene sheet & rod.  I hand painted the cab (gimme a break, the first time in years I’ve put paint to plastic).  Do you see the pin mark on the steering column & the cloudiness of the windows?  Bonus, picture 14 just taken prior to this posting showing the 3 complete “trucks”.  Stay tuned for Part 3 of the Mace WIP.












 
 











All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

All-American Car Show July 13, 2024

ALL AMERICAN CAR SHOW Details

The All-American Car Show is inviting contestants for the Model Show in Loveland, CO ages 17 or younger. Please see the details below: Model Building contest for Cars & Trucks only. Eligible contestants are those who are 17 or younger. Fee: Free to enter Model Build contest. Main event: All American Car Show. Date: Saturday July 13th, 2024. Time: 8am - 2pm (Model contest judging at 11am). Location: Loveland Sports Complex, 950 N. Boyd Lake Ave. Loveland, CO. Awards: Best in Show: 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. Note: Those who wish to bring their model car or truck just for show and no award is open to all ages.